Today is Melly’s 34th birthday. Who’s Melly? Oh, just one of my closest friends. E & I wrote this list last week of 34 Melicious Morsels that we want to share on her birthday.
Note – due to a scheduling f*ck up on my part, this post is going live at the end of Mel’s birthday, not the beginning as planned. Somehow, when scheduling I thought the year was 2014..
1) Once upon a time, Mel told us that she was going to buy a piano and relearn how to play. One night not long after, we asked her to play something for us. Expecting a rendition of chopsticks, we were completely blown away when she played Yiruma. It was achingly beautiful and we still talk about it.
2) Mel smiles while she exercises. It’s totally disconcerting. There you are, in your zone, trying your best not to die from the intense pain and exhaustion and you’ll look over and there is Little Miss Sunshine, grinning away like she’s actually having fun!
3) She also loves to exercise in the heat which we find weird as well.
4) Melly is our dinner club Culinary Conductor. When we sit down, she takes charge, organises what we’ll eat and does all the ordering. I love going out to dinner with her because she knows what we like and she makes sure we get it.
5) She makes the world’s best guacamole.
6) She gets the coffee. If you’re road tripping or meeting up to help her move house, she always arrives with steaming cups of caffeine. Oh Melly, I love you for this.
7) She changes her hair colour and her house regularly. More than regularly!
8) She has beautiful skin. And a beautiful smile. And a beautiful soul.
9) She makes us play lists for short drives, long drives, as gifts. Her taste in music rocks!
10) She understands. Everything.
11) She’s partial to the odd macaron.
12) She is a fitness junkie and it’s inspirational.
13) She once invited us over for dinner and was mortified that semi Bridget Jones style, she turned our food purple. It still tasted amazing and we were highly amused.
14) She’s like a teenager – staying up until 4am to watch a new show or read a new series of books.
15) She has wide ranging tastes. Her list of favourite films, books and music is eclectic.
16) She seems to know every actress, every artist, every model, every author.
17) She’s a foodie like us!
18) She talks about becoming a vampire maker and turning us into her minions. This doesn’t please us.
19) She claims that in a Zompoc, her & E will be the strategists. Jay & I will be off finding berries. E thinks this is hilarious. I’m planning to withhold my berries from her and demand a more crucial role.
20) She has the cutest, cutest doggy and is a role model for dog owners everywhere.
21) Melly is brave.
22) She is loyal. Say something bad about Nicole Kidman and just wait for this point to be proved!
23) She doesn’t like her arms being touched while sleeping :) We’re planning to sneak into her room in Byron to caress her arms while she’s sleeping ;)
24) She always chats to the cab driver. Sometimes long after they’ve arrived at her destination.
25) She’s the dream house guest, arriving with good champagne and a cheese platter & the next morning, bringing coffee to those still in bed.
26) She introduced us to the fabulousness of ciders & perries.
27) She is a minimalist like us. She understands the bliss that being clutter free brings.
28) She looks after E and has since we were teenagers.
29) After she read Twilight, she turned up at book club and talked about the novels and the author NON STOP. She’d brought along Youtube links for us to watch. Such is her adorable, excitable nature.
30) She sends emails about torturous events like commando camps and is so excited about them that we get suckered into believing a 5km challenge course will be fun.
31) She’s currently obsessing over skulls.
32) She’s always working on herself, learning, growing, trying to be a better person. We like this. Even though we already think she’s perfect.
33) She loves nail polish as much as me!
34) We’re two of her biggest fans.
Love you Melly. Happy 34th.