Some would call it nosey. Some would call it curious. Whatever it is, I always love knowing what people having inside their handbags. Not to the point of looking through them though – just to be clear! But whenever someone asks me to pass them their bag or when someone’s looking through their bag, I’m always slightly intrigued by what’s in there.
Sheela’s bag in particular is one that has always fascinated me. It’s like a Mary Poppins treasure trove – you just never know what she’ll pull out of it next. It’s fabulous to have a friend like her around because whatever you need at any given time, she almost always has it. And I’m not just talkin’ bandaids or safety pins. This woman carries around packs of cards, True Blood dvds and sachets’ of coffee.
I asked Miss Sheels to take a photo of her baggage with the insides on the outside. If you compare this with the contents of my own handbag, I think it’s clear the boring one is in this friendship! I also think it’s pretty unfair that I end up with shoulder pain so often when I lug around substantially less stuff.
– My work security pass
– My phone
– My wallet
– A pen
– My keys
– My sunglasses
– My make up bag
Sometimes I have a book in there too, depending on where I’m going. Inside my favourite little make up bag I have a further eight items:
– Mac eyeshadow (which I apply with fingers so I don’t have to carry around a brush)
– Coral Colours eyeliner
– Coral Colours lip liner
– Clinque lip gloss
– Chewing gum
– Mabelline mascara
– Freebie lip gloss from Wendys (that I stole from your bedroom Leigh, sorry!)
So this brings the total number of things I have with me at any given time to 15 items. Sheela on the other hand. Well, I count 56 on the particular day she took the photo with the potential for an additional 11 items. Knowing that Sheels lugs around 67 items on a daily basis makes me want to buy her a trolley!
Contents of Sheela’s bag as described by the pack rat herself:
- 1 button, picked up while vacuuming, put into pocket and then it ended up in my bag
- 1 pkt of extra chewing gum…but I haven’t used it lately due to a dream I had where my teeth fell out whilst chewing gum!
- 1 fan, for those humid Sydney days
- 1 ring…wanted to wear it but left the house in a hurry so threw it in my bag to put on later…never got round to it
- 1 necklace…see above
- Charger – if I know I will be away from home all day and there is the possibility of getting my hands on an electrical socket, I will always take my charger with me!
- 1 booklet of stamps
- Listography, which I write in daily
- The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society – nearly finished it!
- Imelda May CD, a cool Irish singer I am listening to at the mo. Haven’t put her on my ipod yet so she goes with me for car rides
- Headband with diamantes
- 8 bobbypins, in case I want to do something different with my hair (or break into someones apartment – not really!)
- 1 bejeweled pocket mirror
- 1 revlon blush
- 1 maybeline mascara
- 1 radox hand sanitiser – with cucumber and aloe
- 1 revlon lipstick (i liked this in the shops, then I didn’t like it when I applied it in the car. I thought it looked too brown but now I like it again, so it must be the lighting)
- 1 clinique lip gloss – to make my matte lippie shiny
- 1 vaseline intensive rescue soothing hand cream (that usually finds its way onto my face!)
- 1 Australis brush on foundation
- 1 felt bunny – cos I like looking at it so I take it with me sometimes
- 2 pens – blue felt tip and one new pen with Aurora world cruise 2011 written on it. My cousin gave it to me from the ship he works on
- Tissues (a surprisingly small packet!) I usually have a large wad in my bag, and I cannot take fewer than 10. I pull the tissues out of the box, counting as I go, and once I get to ten I hesitate, decide if I need more and may grab more, but always an even number (I AM normal, I swear!)
- Post it notes – you never know when u will need them
- My purse – a whole other world of things inside that
- 1 Robert Timms Italian Esspresso style coffee bag – I don’t know how that got in there
- Zippered bag with flowers, butterflies, stars on it. Meant to put my make-up in here after I had used it, but didn’t get round to it
- 2 postpacks to send the following to my sister and my dad:
– photos of my nephews from my last trip to Melbourne
– True Blood season 1 (Kiran has just hooked into the vampire craze!
– photos (copies for my dad)
– 2 nail polishes (a chrome pink one and a metallic “peacock” coloured one). These are for my dad to try to match to a paint for my kitchen aid
– bubble wrap to make sure the nail polishes don’t break (the above items to post aren’t usually in my bag but they have been there for the past three days while I try to finally get to a postbox!)
What wasnt in her bag that usually is:
- bottle of water
- comb (I don’t know why I carry this or the brush for that matter as once my hair is dry I don’t mess with it – that’s asking for trouble!)
- disposable nailfiles
- moist towelettes
- magazine (jamie, delicious, masterchef, who)
- keys (left them hidden so Ruth can get inside to feed the animals)
- mail (I often collect the mail on my way out of the house and shove it in my bag to look at later
- video store vouchers
- a deck of cards (sometimes I get in the mood to shuffle!)
So tell me friends, how many items do you have in your handbag on a day to day basis? And do you think Sheela is insane?